How to Create a Website
There’s basically three ways to create a website yourself. I’ve been creating websites for a living since 2004 and have made dozens of sites by each of the following methods.
|3 Ways to Make Your Own Website:|
|1. HTML||Most control over result|
|Most time consuming||Dreamweaver|
|2. CMS||Make site changes quickly|
Lots of free applications available
|CMS software must be installed and configured correctly||Wordpress (Install at HostGator)|
|3. Website Builder||Fastest and easiest way to make a site||Must host site with web builder service||Hub|
Recommendation: Use a website builder if you’re new to making websites – use WordPress if you’re more comfortable with coding
1. Make html pages using a text editor or html editor software. You don’t need an html editor, it just makes coding easier. Dreamweaver is the best in the industry. This site has tips for creating columns, site layout, formatting, etc. After you create web pages and link them together into a website, you’ll need a web host to store your files and make them available on the internet. There are lost of good quality cheap hosting sites available. Typical cost is about $5 per month to host any number of pages and receive any amount of traffic. I have used Hostgator for years and really like their service. They have been around a long time, offer quality hosting at an affordable cost, and have great customer service (which is something you may need more of when just starting out).
Advantages: Get to learn a new skill, the most hands-on approach, no black boxes – you see how everything works, cheapest way to make a website
Disadvantages: Most time consuming, most difficult to learn
2. Create a website by using a Content Management System (CMS). There are lots of content management system applications available for creating a website. Some are free and some are quite expensive. One of the most popular CMS platforms available is WordPress. It’s gotten to be so popular because it’s free, it’s really easy to setup and use, and it has such a large number of users creating applications for use with WordPress.
Having a large number of users is nice for at least two reasons. First, thousands of different applications have been created for WordPress. So no matter what type of site you want, or no matter what type of functionality you want for your site – someone has already figured it out and makes the solution available for free or low cost. Second, no matter what problem you may have with your site, someone else has already had the problem and solved it. Just visit any of the numerous WordPress forums to find the solution to any problem.
You’ll still need to sign up with a web hosting company to make your CMS website available on the internet. There are many web hosting options to choose from. Most web hosting companies offer a ’1-click install’ of wordpress on your web hosting account. This means you can just sign up with a web hosting service, click one button to have WordPress installed, and then start adding text and images to your website. It really couldn’t be easier. You’ll still need to learn the basics of wordpress, but again, since there’s so many users, lots of great wordpress tutorials already exist for free.
Advantages: Interior site linking is managed for you, ability to quickly make changes to your whole site by editing the site’s theme, lots of free plugins available to extend your site’s functionality
Disadvantages: Not many, WordPress is one of the best ways of creating a website. (I recommend installing WordPress through HostGator.
3. Create a website with a website builder. Website builders are online software and web hosting companies in one. These companies make it super easy to create your website in no time. There’s no programming required and no separate web hosting company to deal with. Just start making your website right away by selecting a professionally designed template and adding text and images. You can upload your own images or use some of the thousands that website builder services have available. Create any number of pages (photo albums, newsletters, catalogs, etc) and click Publish and you’re done. You can also setup an online store and start selling products easily.
Advantages: Nothing to learn – just start designing right away, make your website fast
Disadvantages: Must keep your website hosted with the web builder company, more expensive (slightly)
Creating a Website Tutorial
If you’ve always wanted to create a web site, but you just didn’t know where or how to start one, I built this little tutorial just for you. It starts right at the very beginning and shows you how to make a free website with HTML code using tools that you already have.
If you are a Windows user, you already have NotePad and if you’re running a Mac, you’ll also have some kind of simple text editor in your accessories. That’s all it takes. A simple text editor and your browser.
First timers should start with the 3 lesson Beginner HTML tutorial. You’ll learn to build a basic website in the Intermediate tutor. The code is all copy and paste, but by the time you’re finished, you’ll be writing code by hand.
You can open the tutorial in your browser, open your text editor next to it, and work at your own pace. I set it up just so you could do that.
I’m also developing a series of free web templates using the HTML and CSS presented in the tutorial. When you complete the tutorial, you’ll have the basic knowledge needed to take a template and turn it into your very own website. You’ll learn the following:
- How to create a website template and then use it to create a three page working web site.
- Hosting your web site and putting it on the web. There are many website hosting options to choose from.
- How to link your webpages together, use color and add pictures to your web pages.
- How to set your web page up with a style sheet so that it can be redesigned just using the style sheet.
The tutor is divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced phases. In turn, you’ll create your web site template, create a website (3 pages), and then edit the site to your liking and get it online.
Most people are surprised to see how fun creating a website can be. And it’s certainly a lot more affordable than hiring website design services. I’ll bet you like it too!
Let’s Get Started!!
- The Digital Marketing Newbie’s Guide March 4, 2014 Today we live in a digital world, where our previous ideas of everything from the way we communicate, educate ourselves, and even do business, have undergone drastic changes. With a global audience of over 2 billion, the internet has opened up huge marketing avenues, which almost any business can enter. With the rise of the internet and related technologies, a new form of marketing, known as digital marketing, has become a powerful tool in the world ...
- Getting Traffic from Online Advertising in Australia February 25, 2014Any company that wants to get increased website traffic will need to engage in at least a few forms of online advertising. Following are the most common website advertising options to pick from, along with pointers that will help a business owner get the most value for his or her hard-earned cash. Google AdWords Google AdWords is the most common form of online advertising and companies the world over have found that it is effective in reaching ...
- Backing Up Your Computer February 20, 2014Now more than ever it’s critical that you have a reliable means of backing up your computer files. Presented by NovaStor
- What to Discuss With a Web Design Company December 20, 2013As recently as 2012, the Australian Government Department of Communications found that less than half of the country’s businesses had a website. Whether you have a new business, need to have your site redesigned, or have finally decided the time is right to have a website designed for your existing business, be sure to cover the following topics with any design companies you’re seriously considering: How Do They Handle Mobile and Tablet Design? According to one of ...
- Social Media and the New SEO December 6, 2013Search engine optimization must always be on the move. It must be able to react to the ever changing ways in which internet users interact with the world wide web. The popularity of social networking sites has revolutionized the way people use the internet, and social media platforms offer webmasters new opportunities to deploy their SEO strategies in order to improve their business’ online visibility. Social media sites like Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter have become ...
- Different Methods of Affiliate Marketing December 2, 2013Affiliate marketing has been around in one form or another since the 1990′s but now the majority of the work is done online. The benefits of affiliate marketing are obvious. Not only are you expanding your potential client base by undertaking an unconventional form of marketing but you’re also utilizing the services of a skilled salesman, who you’re paying on a commission only basis. Affiliate marketing can be as complicated or easy as you want ...
- 7 Keys to Building Your Own High PR Private Network November 27, 2013Building a powerful network of websites is an amazing away to boost your website’s rank. However, if this network is built wrong, your website can suffer the consequences of a dreaded search engine penalty. If you have thought about building your own link network, you first have to understand that it takes a lot of work, maintenance and capital. Even if you have all the money in the world, you’re going to have to take the ...
- How to Earn Editorial Links for Your Small Business November 10, 2013Editorial links refer to links that occur across the web naturally, so they’re no doubt some of the most effective. Unfortunately, many small businesses put more effort into creating a link building strategy through guest posting and then completely forget about editorial links because they’re harder to obtain. It’s a great idea have other link building methods in place, but keep in mind that editorial links don’t have to be something out of reach. There ...
- Does A Site Rank Better If It Has A Lot of Indexed Pages? November 8, 2013This is a fairly common question, and it actually has a fairly simple answer, but one that has a lot of layers to it. The simple answer is: no. The more complex way of looking at it is that many sites with a lot of indexed pages rank well in Google, but it’s not the number of indexed pages directly that makes that happen. In order to understand, you have to first understand how search ...
- Data-driven Affiliate Marketing November 7, 2013Data-driven marketing is a popular buzz word in the affiliate marketing space at the moment. Many marketers make the mistake of thinking that they are engaging in data driven marketing simply because they make extensive use of Google Analytics. While it’s true that analytics is an important part of data driven marketing, it’s important that you understand what is worth measuring, and why you’re taking those measurements. Otherwise, you’re simply making extra work for yourself ...