Create a Web Page
Create a Basic HTML Web Page
You can make your own web page using any text editor. Use NotePad on Windows or whatever it is that you use on a Mac. Web pages are built using a coding language called HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language).
HTML is a simple tool that uses a tag based code to produce text on a computer screen.
The basic code for a page is shown below.
This code could actually be saved as a web page and would produce the words Hello World on the computer screen.
If you’ve never made a web page and previewed it in a browser, you should read up on using Notepad before you start this exercise.
When you are ready:
- Copy the text to NotePad
- Hold down your left mouse button and drag it over the code to highlight it.
- Right Click on the highlighted code and Click Copy
- Open NotePad and Right Click inside the editor window.
- Click Paste
- Save the Page
- Click File – SaveAS
- Save the page as firstpage.html (Remember where you save it!!)
- Look at the page with a browser
- On any browser (Even AOL) Click File
- Click Open
- Navigate to the folder where you saved firstpage.html
- Click on the filename firstpage.html to highlight it
- Click Open
The words Hello World should appear in the browser window.
Note: If all you see is code, you saved the file with a .txt extension. The .html extension is critical.