Website builders allow anyone to make a professional looking website quickly, easily, and cheaply. Here’s a summary of some of my favorite online web builders:
|Web builder||Cost / month||Review|
|Hub||$4.95||Get your small business online fast and easy. Hub review.|
|Wix||Free||Create a Free Flash website. Wix review.|
|Intuit||$7.99||Award-winning software used by 12 million people. Intuit review|
|Yola||$4.95||Great for business websites, many easy-to-use tools. Yola review.|
|Weebly||Free||Powerful and affordable website-building experience. Weebly review.|
What Are Online Website Builders & How Do They Work?
An online website builder is the fastest method of creating a website that has been devised to date. It is a specific kind of content management system and is the ideal solution to the problem of building a website for a small or medium sized business. Modern website builders enable you to create a site without any knowledge of programming or HTML language. They are designed to be user-friendly and have ‘what you see is what you get’ (WYSIWYG) editing that allow you to see on the display screen precisely what you will see when the page is published.
There are professionally designed templates within the website builder. Simply choose the one you like best and use it as your website template. More advanced website builders give you the option of taking the existing template and giving it a few tweaks to ensure it possesses your unique touch. If you decide to choose a paid-for website builder as opposed to the many free options available, ensure that the company provides all the features required to build an amazing website.
Advantages of Online Website Builders
Their advantages can be neatly summarized:
- You don’t have to install anything in your computer
- It is possible to work on your website from any location with Internet access
- There is no need to worry about software updates
- Many online website builders offer website hosting too
- There are a multitude of free website builders online
- Unique features that help separate your site from the rest of the pack
- Websites can be built in a matter of minutes using the most simple providers
What Features Should An Online Website Builder Have?
If you are using a free option, don’t expect a huge amount of storage space or bandwidth. You will probably receive a handful of free pages, just enough to get you started with other options available when you pay a monthly fee. Here are some of the features that should be on offer with premium packages:
- Unlimited bandwidth, site & page creation and storage space
- The ability to use Google AdSense or other banner ads to generate revenue
- Widgets such as image galleries, videos and animation
- An online store which is a fantastic method of showcasing your products and services
- A section for blog posts, a great way to improve your search engine ranking
- Visitor statistics, though Google Analytics is extremely effective
- Top level domain name
- Excellent customer support
If you have a small or medium sized business and have not yet developed an online presence, an online website builder is a fantastic way to get started. You can survive on a free plan as you dip your toe in the water and expand into paid plans later on. You are urged to perform proper research into the features and options offered by any given online website builder to ensure they have exactly what you need. Remember, a website is a long-term commitment so you want a service provider that delivers what it promises. Be sure to read the many reviews available for each well-known online website builder in order to make an informed decision.
Tips for Improving Your Website:
• Introduce a “customer of the week” or “favorite subscriber of the day” – this adds a level of personalization and gives you a way to acknowledge and appreciate your subscribers and customers. You can send an email in advance and if the user approves then post a thank you note for that person on your site, and allow others to comment and even allow the subscriber to write a note if they wish.
• Design several marketing campaigns that can launch from your website. These campaigns can be coupons, discount codes, referral contests, and other techniques to help in building a subscriber base.
• Blogs have become extremely popular. Many people utilize blogs to learn more about products and services before they make a purchase. You can work with website builders to put together blogs based on your business. The blogs should be informative and not too salesy. You could also invite customers to blog if you choose.
• Linking to social media has become almost mandatory for any websites today. Website builders can help you to incorporate Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to your site, and then leverage the power of these social media tools to bring in additional business.
• Mobile devices continue to proliferate and are used by an ever-growing number of people on the go. You should work with website builders so that your site is “mobile device friendly” and can be viewed easily on a smart phone, an iPad, or a tablet computer.
• Paying attention to your customers and their feedback is key for any business. You should regularly ask for customer opinions on your products and services, and then take each one very seriously. If customers are willing to share a story of how your product helped them solve a problem, consider sharing that story online. If a customer had an issue with a product, you should respond and address the issue to the best of your abilities.
Establishing that level of rapport with customers breeds great success no matter what type of business.
When working with website builders you should find one that understands how to build a site to meet your business goals and is willing to work based on your business needs and budget – and will listen.
Looking for a website builder? Click to find a list of website builders that you may not have considered.